The Bottom Line
In Soul to Soul Parenting, Annie Burnside shares her own and her family's journey to deeper spiritual meaning and offers 22 parenting "vehicles" for integrating spirituality into family life.
- Suggests specific methods for integrating spirituality into family life
- Focuses on the importance of positive messages at home
- Offers a non-demoninational approach to enhancing family spirituality
- Fathers whose families are not faith-centered may not find help here
- A positive, affirming, and values-based book that will benefit any family of faith
- Insightful for fathers who appreciate the need for better personal and family spirituality
- Both theoretical and practical in its approach, the book offers specific activities and ways to teach core spiritual values
Guide Review - Book Review - Soul to Soul Parenting
Annie Burnside's Soul to Soul Parenting is both inspiring and practical in its approach to building a greater spiritual foundation in a family. She shares a personal account of her own journey to deeper spiritual awareness and how she has implemented at home what she learned, bringing her family to a new level.
Soul to Soul Parenting includes 22 very practical "parenting vehicles" for deepening family spirituality. Some of her vehicles I found particularly interesting involved family rituals, weekly family discussions, music, art and nature. Each of the short passages involving these teaching methods is at once inspiring and down-to-earth practical.
For me, the best part of the book was the section on dealing with spiritual themes at home. Each theme chapter blends theory with practice over several pages and then includes recommended family activities to bring these spiritual principles into your family's life. Finally, in each theme chapter, there is a list of books, movies and songs that help reinforce that theme.
Her themes include, among others:
- The Physical Body, A Sacred Vessel
- Oneness and Individuation
- Cause and Effect, Natural Consequences and Free Will
- Authenticity and Joy
- Gratitude and Appreciation
- Trust and Faith