The other officers include a committed Christian father who comes to the force from a big city, a young single rookie and another officer with a small family. Together they hang out, barbeque and enjoy one another's company on and off the job. Each of them responds differently to Adam's unexpected and tragic circumstances and have to come to terms with the resultant call to be a courageous, godly and determined father.
Quite by happenstance, an additional man comes into the circle who is hired by Adam to help him build a shed in the backyard. This man ends up in some ways being the conscience for the others as he lives a quiet but deeply spiritual life through a series of employment trials for himself and his family.
- I do solemnly resolve before God to take full responsibility for myself, my wife, and my children.
- I WILL love them, protect them, serve them, and teach them the Word of God as the spiritual leader of my home.
- I WILL be faithful to my wife, to love and honor her, and be willing to lay down my life for her as Jesus Christ did for me.
- I WILL bless my children and teach them to love God with all of their hearts, all of their minds, and all of their strength.
- I WILL train them to honor authority and live responsibly.
- I WILL confront evil, pursue justice, and love mercy.
- I WILL pray for others and treat them with kindness, respect, and compassion.
- I WILL work diligently to provide for the needs of my family.
- I WILL forgive those who have wronged me and reconcile with those I have wronged.
- I WILL learn from my mistakes, repent of my sins, and walk with integrity as a man answerable to God.
- I WILL seek to honor God, be faithful to His church, obey His Word, and do His will.
- I WILL courageously work with the strength God provides to fulfill this resolution for the rest of my life and for His glory.
- As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. - Joshua 24:15
Should you watch this movie?
I came away from feeling personal resolve to not just to do better but to be better as a man and as a father. I also decided that when the film comes out on DVD, I will purchase a copy for each of my sons and sons-in-law (as I did with Fireproof) and encourage them to watch it and commit to their own "resolution" to be a better father.
The film is unabashedly Christian in nature and makes frequent references to Christianity and spirituality. I suspect that this might be off-putting for some men. But even the less religious among us can find inspiration and direction to help us become better. And for men who have embraced Christianity, the messages will resonate even more directly and personally. Courageous will help any man who wants to be a better father or who needs some motivation to look a little deeper and commit a little more fully to his important role as a father in every sense of the word.