1. Parenting
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

How can I change child support payments that are no longer fair?


Question: How can I change child support payments that are no longer fair?
Answer: Only the court can change a mandated child support payment, so any modification would have to be submitted to a judge. If both spouses agree on a change, it is usually a pretty simple process. When you don't agree, the request will be submitted by your family law attorney for a hearing. The spouse who wants to make a change over the other's objection has the burden to show what has changed and why a different amount (higher or lower) should be required. Temporary changes might be result of a medical emergency, a change in employment status or a short-term economic hardship on the part of the receiving parent.

A permanent change in child support is often considered when income changes due to a remarriage, either parent has a job change that affects ability to pay, or the child involved has new and different needs than were contemplated when the original amount was set.

Back to the Child Support FAQ

  1. About.com
  2. Parenting
  3. Fatherhood
  4. Non-Custodial Dads
  5. Child Support
  6. Child Support FAQ
  7. Circumstances have changed and the current child support payments aren't fair any more. What should I do?

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.